Uttitha Trikonasana (extended triangle pose)
BKS Iyengar states: The regular practice of this asana taps energy stored in the tailbone, an important source of vitality and strength. This helps those who require more energy to function efficiently under stress. The posture activates the spine, keeping it supple and well-aligned. It relieves backaches and reduces stiffness in the neck, shoulders and knees.
Benefits – When practiced correctly:
· Stimulates digestion relieving gastritis, indigestion, acidity, and flatulence.
· Improves the flexibility of the spine
· Alleviates back pain
· Corrects alignment of the shoulders
· Reduces stiffness in the neck, shoulders and knees
· Massages and tones the pelvic organs correcting the effects of a sedentary lifestyle and faulty posture
· Strengthens the ankles
· Reduces discomfort during menstruation
· Helps relieve menstrual disorders
· Tones the ligaments of the arms and legs
· Tones the abdominal organs
Cautions – If you have uncontrolled high blood pressure, do not look up at the raised arm in this posture. If you have cervical spondylosis, do not look up for too long.
Here is a helpful video showing step by step instructions on the correct practice of Utthita Trikonasana:
|Utthita Trikonasana (Extended Triangle Pose) Step by Step Instructions & Variations